Cinderella Wedding Dress
SERIES: Cinderella (2015)
DATE COMPLETED: March 2015
FABRIC: Silk Organza, Satin
NOTES: I'm sticking with my wedding dress theme again this year for C2E2's Crown Championships of Cosplay. Last year, Katniss' dress over-the-top and quite heavy! This time around I wanted to go in a different direction. I chose a gown that I found to be refined and elegant, but still challenging. I started with nine yards of ivory satin for the base of the skirt, which has french seams & a hand-finished horse-hair hem. On top lays a light layer of silk organza that has french seams & a narrow rolled hem. Underneath is white cotton lining with some tulle for added body. The skirt is pleated in the back & closes with an invisible zipper.
The bodice was the most challenging part of the gown thus far because I wanted the fit to be impeccable. I started by draping the corset & created the foundation layer using a heavy-weight canvas fabric (which I find to be a good alternative to coutil). I added a mix of spiral steel & white steel boning into bias tape channels sewn into the foundation layer. I also added waist tape for extra support. My secret to having the clean finished back (like in the movie) is adding extra panels in foundation layer that allow me to lace up the corset with grommets on the inside & have the outside close with hooks & eyes.
Once my foundation layer was complete, I made the interfaced outer satin layer & basted those pieces together. I then put it back on the mannequin & draped the sheer organza layer over it. I ended up making multiple versions of this sheer bodice layer because my original plan of french seaming the seams was not laying right. My final version has two-piece sleeves decorated with six buttons at each wrist. All the sheer bodice seams are hand-sewn finished with homemade double-fold silk organza bias tape.
I basted the corset layer & the sheer layer together only at the bottom & again finished the seams with homemade ivory satin bias tape. I hand-sewed the bodice closed & added hooks & eyes to the center back seam to finish off the piece. The veil has a narrow-rolled hem.
All that is left to do is decorate the silk organza with a floral motif (which is still in the process but will be completed by the time of the event). I've experimented with all types of paints & have found that plain acrylic paint works best on silk organza (versus fabric paints or acrylic paint with added fabric medium). I will also have a blonde front lace wig (which has yet to arrive).